SANCERRE AND BORDEAUX-INSPIRED AMERICANS
Domaine Serge Laloue Sancerre AOC 2016 - SUSTAINABLY GROWN
Country: FRANCE / Region: LOIRE VALLEY / Appellation: SANCERRE AOC / Varietal(s): SAUVIGNON BLANC --- Domaine Serge Laloue was created in the early 1930s by François and Simone Laloue. In 1960, their son Serge took charge of the vines and concentrated on viticulture and winemaking. Today, the domaine is operated by the brother and sister team of Franck and Christine who continue the work of their father, Serge, as they have since 1990.They practice sustainable agriculture with 80% of their vines left to grow grass between the rows. (The benefits of this are many: the vines dig deeper to compete for moisture, and the grass reduces both erosion and the natural vigor of the vines, which in turn reduces yield.) Franck further reduces yields by de-budding in the spring and pruning heavily. The estate comprises 21 hectares of vines, located in Thauvenay, five km from the town of Sancerre. Thauvenay boasts three distinctive terroirs: Caillottes (clay limestone dating back to the Jurassic era), siliceous clay, and iron-rich sandy clay. This Sancerre comes from sauvignon blanc planted on 80% clay and limestone with the remaining 20% on siliceous clay. The wine sees 3-6 months on the lees and in tank, giving it freshness and minerality with a subtle hint of softer acidity. An exciting new arrival, this offers a lot of bang for the buck! Bright and fragrant, it displays light citrus notes and a smoky, mineral-laden nose. Lean and grippy on the palate, the citrus transitions to white peach flavors which dance on a vibrant core of acidity. A polished texture deftly balances and ties it all together with that iconic Sancerre minerality on the finish. An elegant choice to open with chicken stuffed with spinach and goat cheese.
The Red Hook Winery "The Guardian" North Fork of Long Island 2013
Country: USA / Region: NEW YORK / Appellation: NORTH FORK OF LONG ISLAND / Varietal(s): MERLOT+CABERNET FRANC+CABERNET SAUVIGNON+PETIT VERDOT --- Red Hook Winery was founded in 2008 by Mark Snyder, a Brooklyn native who sells high end California wines though his company, Angels' Share Wines. The resulting relationships with world-class winemakers have allowed Snyder to attract some of the hottest talent in Napa to Brooklyn, namely Abe Schoener of Scholium Project, and Robert Foley of Foley Wines. Red Hook produces wine from the best vineyard sites in New York state, including Long Island's North Fork (specifically at the vineyards of Macari, Jamesport, and Ackerly Pond), as well as the Finger Lakes. The salty, sea-breeze-blown North Fork is a unique viticultural area, a skinny peninsula about 30 miles long and only a few miles wide at most. The soils here were deposited by glaciers, and consist of a coarse layer of loam over sand and gravel, which drain incredibly well. Grapes from the North Fork of Long Island have a distinct sea-air quality due to the vineyards’ proximity to the Great Peconic Bay and Peconic Sound. The Guardian is a Robert Foley-made wine, and using exceptional New York fruit, takes aim at the best Bordeaux on the market. A luscious blend of merlot, cabernet franc, cabernet sauvignon, and a smidgeon of petit verdot, it all adds up to a supple, dark, dangerously delicious wine. Indulgent notes of stewed blackberry, black currant, and plum pave the way for an additional layer of earth and spice on the finish. A must try for any New York wine fan! Open a bottle with mushroom barbacoa tacos or rosemary-scented pork roulade.
Chappellet Vineyard Mountain Cuvée Napa Valley 2015
Country: USA / Region: CALIFORNIA / Appellation: NAPA VALLEY / Varietal(s): MERLOT+CABERNET SAUVIGNON+MALBEC+PETIT VERDOT+CABERNET FRANC --- Founded by Donn and Molly Chappellet in 1967, Chappellet is renowned for producing world-class wine from grapes planted on the steep, rocky slopes of Napa's famed Pritchard Hill. One of the first Napa wineries to pioneer high elevation hillside planting, Chappellet remains one of the great family-owned Napa Valley wineries. The impressive power and complexity of the wines those mountain grapes yield has cemented Chappellet's reputation (especially for cabernet sauvignon) as well as established Pritchard Hill as one of California's most esteemed winegrowing sites. This beguiling blend of Bordeaux varietals puts all that charisma on full display. 37% merlot, 34% cabernet sauvignon, 11% malbec, 11% petit verdot, and 7% cabernet franc, this entices with fragrant notes of spicy black cherry and blackberry with hints of dried herbs and cocoa powder. Full-bodied, a silky, balanced palate brings forth flavors of red currant and cassis underscored by touches of vanilla and smoke. Opulent in texture, the rich plush fruit lingers on a structured finish of integrated firm tannin. An elegant classic, open this an hour before serving, then enjoy with braised beef short ribs or lentil shepherd's pie.