Log in if you have an account
Having an account with us will allow you to check out faster in the future, store multiple addresses, view and track your orders in your account, and more.Create an account
|Appellation/Sub-Region||Umbria Bianco IGT|
|Grapes||Grechetto, Malvasia, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Garganega|
|Vineyard/Cellar Practices||Organically Grown, Low-Intervention/Natural Wine, Vegan|
Paolo Bea is one of the more renowned producers in Umbrian winemaking, situated in the historic region of Montefalco. The Bea family has been documented to have been in the region as early as 1500, and the estate is quite small, encompassing 15 hectares but only 5 of which are vineyards. They have 2 hectares of olive trees for oil production and the rest is fruits, vegetables, and grains, producing most of what the Bea family consumes daily. Paolo Bea is the senior member of the family, with his sons, Giuseppe and Giampiero, helping him with the farming, winemaking, and commercial aspects of the winery. The vineyard is dedicated to 60% sagrantino, with the remaining 40% being sangiovese and montepulciano, with a small parcel planted to several white grape varieties, all of which are farmed organically and harvested by hand. According to importer Rosenthal Wine Merchants, “Bea’s wines remain singular--boisterous, unabashedly wild expressions of their undulating, sun-drenched hills of origin, each new vintage of which is eagerly anticipated by a legion of loyal clients”. The ‘Santa Chiara’ is comprised of equal parts grechetto, malvasia, sauvignon blanc, garganega, and chardonnay that are fermented with natural yeasts and see at least 2 weeks of skin contact with an additional 12-20 months on the lees. It doesn’t see any oak, is bottled unfined, unfiltered, and with no addition of sulfur. It is incredibly expressive, with aromas of macerated peaches, brassy spice, white pepper, and candied citrus. It is dry with tons of structure, terroir, balanced tannin, and a long, focused finish. Organically grown, low-intervention/natural wine, vegan.