Log in if you have an account
Having an account with us will allow you to check out faster in the future, store multiple addresses, view and track your orders in your account, and more.Create an account
|Vineyard/Cellar Practices||Certified Organic, Low-Intervention/Natural Wine, Vegan|
While Domaine Bernard Baudry is a relatively young estate, it's among the rising stars of Chinon! Fresh out of wine school in Beaune in 1982, Bernard Baudry began with two hectares in Cravant-lés-Coteaux, gradually building it to its current 32 hectares. 90% of his estate is planted to cabernet franc, with the other 10% devoted to chenin blanc. Bernard's son, Mathieu, who has assisted his father since 2000, finally took over the reins upon Bernard's retirement, but the two men still work side by side to produce standard-setting wines in Chinon. The estate has been certified organic since 2006 but farmed without chemicals and with homemade compost for far longer than that. The approach in both vineyard and cellar is traditional, using only estate grown fruit, hand harvested, destemmed, moved by gravity, and fermented with indigenous yeasts in a mix of cement and old barrels before aging takes place in vat and used barrique. Wines are bottled with minimal sulfur. Baudry's wines are renowned for precision, concentration, and texture, and are arguably among the finest of the region. 'Les Granges', 100% cabernet franc, was the first wine that they released, and it is also their most youthful. The vines are 25 years old, planted on alluvial soil and gravel near the riverbed. The wine is supple and fruity but dry, with smoky cherries and a balanced structure with approachable tannins. Certified organic, low-intervention/natural wine, vegan.