Larmandier-Bernier Champagne Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut 1er Cru 'Longitude' NV

Out of stock
Article code P-5120
Larmandier-Bernier Champagne AOC Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut 1er Cru 'Longitude' NV
Country France
Region Champagne
Appellation/Sub-Region Champagne AOC
Grapes Chardonnay
Vineyard/Cellar Practices Biodynamically Grown, Low-Intervention/Natural Wine, Vegan

Champagne Larmandier-Bernier is a star among Côte des Blancs producers, with the Larmandier and Bernier families both having a long history in the Champagne region, dating back to the French revolution. It was not until the marriage of Philippe Larmandier and Elisabeth Bernier in 1971 that the estate was established. The small house today is helmed by Pierre and Sophie Larmandier, who own just under fifteen hectares in some of the finest villages on the Côte des Blancs: Cramant, Chouilly, Oger and Avize (all Grand Crus), as well as in the fine Premier Cru village of Vertus. Pierre took over the family estate in 1988, and by 1992 he began to move the family’s vineyards over to organic and then to biodynamic viticulture by 1999. In the cellar, that approach continues, with only indigenous yeasts used for fermentation, producing the most natural and terroir-specific wine possible. An important note is that all of the Larmandier-Bernier wines never receive more than five grams per liter of sugar (versus other houses' Brut bottlings that can go up to twelve grams per liter). This puts Larmandier-Bernier's Champagnes in the category of Extra Brut, outstanding for their purity and minerality. 100% chardonnay, this Blanc de Blancs comes from vineyards grown in the Côte des Blancs: Vertus, Oger, Avize, Cramant, which form a line close to the 4th meridian, hence the name, "Longitude". The word also rightfully hints at the length and pure, mineral-driven style of these terroirs, where the chalk lies close to the surface. The base wine makes up approximately 60% of the blend and is fermented in stainless steel tanks, while the remaining 40% is reserve wine aged in a combination of large, old oak foudres and neutral Burgundian barrels. That chalk influence leads to powerful results, with intense focus and depth, an array of citrus flavors with hints of spice, and explosive acidity and complexity on a dazzling mineral finish. Biodynamically grown, low-intervention/natural wine, vegan.